International News: Family Members Settle in First VGBA Suit - Wet Leisure

By Rebecca Robledo 5.3.2012

The first drain entrapment lawsuit known to have successfully cited the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act has been settled.

In July 2009, 56-year-old Bill Stock, a paraplegic, was held under water after his foot and leg became trapped on a large suction grate while he was swimming in a large lagoon pool at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa in Honolulu.

According to court records, it took three adults to free Stock, who died the next day.

Stock’s family sued the Hilton and a number of other parties involved in the lagoon’s engineering, construction and design. The suit was for negligence, wrongful death, and violation of the Consumer Product Safety Act and the VGBA.

Read the full story at Pool & Spa News

[adrotate group=”4″]